More than 1 million Americans live and thrive during their golden years, in senior living communities. Choosing the right place for your senior, however, remains an intensely personal task. It’s a common challenge faced by many families that want to give their loved one the best care but cannot do it alone. How do you go about selecting the right community that will make the transition for your senior more comfortable?
As you consider your options, focus on personal lifestyle and needs specific to your aging loved one. You might want to create a list of must-have and nice-to-have features to help you narrow down your choice. Then, schedule tours of communities that check off the highest number of boxes in both categories. Additionally, you can use this simple guide to narrow down your options for senior living communities in Jasper, GA.
Select Senior Living Communities that Work for Your Elders
When choosing a forever home for yourself or someone you care about, consider the types of care offered, the location of the community, the diversity of activities, and amenities. These questions can help you find the perfect fit.
1. Is the Senior Community in a Good Location? Seniors seeking communities in Jasper and the surrounding areas typically live in the area or want to relocate closer to family members. The Lodge at Stephens Lake has convenient access to Highway 515 S and there are shopping and dining opportunities for offsite luncheons and activities with family members.
Jasper is a small town in the North Georgia Mountains and offers all the perks of small-town living. Further, our community offers serene views of picturesque surroundings to help residents and guests feel close to nature.
2. What Levels of Care Do They Offer? It’s also important to look for a range of care options. As you age, your needs will change and the community you choose should reflect that. The Lodge at Stephens Lake offers three types of care so residents can age in place and receive the care they need.
- Independent living allows seniors to take a break from the burden of maintaining a home. Seniors in good physical health can move around freely, meet and greet friends, and participate in numerous activities.
- Assisted living services provide help with daily tasks such as bathing, dressing, and hygiene. Caregivers encourage independence and respect the dignity of residents who need a little extra help.
- Memory care caters to those living with dementia or Alzheimer’s. A secure facility and around-the-clock supervision ensure the safety and well-being of these valued but vulnerable loved ones. Memory care includes targeted programs to help seniors maintain and, if possible, recover precious memories.
Ensure that the community you select for yourself or your senior family member has a variety of floor plans to meet your needs.
3. What Amenities Are Available? The Lodge at Stephens Lake offers lifestyle and medical amenities to enhance the lives of all residents. This includes three, chef-prepared meals a day served in a restaurant-style dining area or in the residents’ rooms, as preferred. There are also dedicated areas and classes to help members stay physically and mentally active.
Available amenities depend on the community served and the level of care required. However, here are universal amenities that benefit most residents:
- Full-service dining room (private dining available)
- Bistro for fast snacks and meals
- Beautifully landscaped grounds
- Pets are allowed
- Therapy services on-site
- Gorgeous views of Stephens Lake
4. Are Staff Members Friendly and Well-Trained? Caring staff members can make life meaningful and worthwhile. When you tour facilities such as The Lodge at Stephen’s Lake, you will see cheerful nurses and aides providing prompt care and gentle assistance to residents. What does it feel like when you interact with staff members? Are they helpful and kind?
We vet out and train each staff member to focus on the emotional as well as physical well-being of each resident. Our nurses and aides always have a kind word for seniors and know the names and preferences of those they care for.
5. Is the Facility Well-Maintained? Ask staff members to highlight recent upgrades and additions that make life easier for seniors. Rooms should have modern amenities, such as individually controlled temperatures and emergency call systems. Additionally, walk-in showers, wide hallways and entrances, and grip bars are just some of the safety considerations when choosing the right place for your senior to call home.
Access to well-kept grounds allows visitors and residents to spend time outdoors and relax in a natural setting.
The Lodge at Stephens Lake welcomes family members and future residents to share a meal and take a tour. We welcome new residents in search of independent living, assisted living, and memory care services in Jasper, GA, and the surrounding communities. Schedule a tour today!